Mimi Guarneri, MD and Deepak Chopra, MD (in photo) join colleagues Mehmet Oz, MD; Mark Hyman, MD; Andrew Weil, MD; and Michael Roisen, MD at the top of Newsmax Health’s 2015 IM Physician list. She is number six on the list and the number one female physician in the U.S. for integrative medicine…[Photo Credit: Sal Benedetto Photography and the Chambers Center for Well Being]…
Newsmax Health’s Top 100 Physicians Who Embrace Integrative Medicine
Wednesday, 27 May 2015 08:29 AM…
Newsmax is out with its 2015 list of the top 100 doctors who embrace and practice alternative, integrative, and complementary medicine.
Integrative medicine is more popular than ever, as more Americans search for natural and holistic solutions to health problems that conventional medicine cannot provide.
Whether you call it complementary, alternative, or integrative treatment, some 42 percent of all hospitals in the U.S. now offer nonconventional medical services.
In certain populations, the use of integrative health and medicine is as high as 90 percent. Overall, 38 percent of all adult Americans use some type of alternative therapy.
The reasons for this shift are diverse. Alternative medicine is cost effective, has few side effects, and is often less invasive.
Also, many doctors such as Mehmet Oz, Deepak Chopra, Andrew Weil, Mark Hyman, and Mike Roizen have become media stars, with prominent TV shows, websites, or newspaper columns.
The most common conditions treated by alternative methods are chronic pain, GI disorders, depression and anxiety, cancer, and stress.
The goal is to make patients feel better through natural methods such as changes in lifestyle, diet, natural herbs, vitamin supplements, meditation, self-hypnosis, acupuncture, and other modalities that do not have the serious side effects of prescription drugs or invasive surgical procedures typically used in conventional medicine.
If you want to find a holistic healthcare provider in your area, visit the Academy of Integrative Health and Medicine at aihm.org.
Here is Newsmax Health’s list of the top 100 alternative practitioners in the U.S.:
1. Mehmet Oz, M.D.; cardiology, wellness; New York, New York.
2. Mark Hyman, M.D.; nutrition, diet, family health; Lenox, Massachusetts.
3. Deepak Chopra, M.D.; internal medicine, endocrinology, mind-body connection; Carlsbad, California.
4. Andrew Weil, M.D.; founder Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine at the University of Arizona; integrative medicine; Tucson, Arizona.
5. Michael Roizen, M.D.; chair of Cleveland Clinic Wellness Institute; preventive medicine; Cleveland, Ohio.
6. Mimi Guarneri, M.D.; president AIHM, cardiology; La Jolla, California.
7. Al Sears, M.D.; anti-aging; Royal Palm Beach, Florida.
8. Russell Blaylock, M.D.; neurosurgeon, nutrition, immunity; Jackson, Mississippi.
9. Chauncey Crandall, M.D.; preventive cardiology; Palm Beach Gardens, Florida.
10. Erika Schwartz, M.D.; bioidentical hormones, women’s wellness; New York, New York.
11. David Brownstein, M.D.; family medicine; West Bloomfield, Michigan.
12. Arthur Agatston, M.D.; cardiology, weight loss; Miami Beach, Florida.
13. David Perlmutter, M.D.; neurology, nutrition; Naples, Florida.
13. Donald Levy, M.D.; nutrition, herbal medicine; Boston, Massachusetts.
14. Stephen Sinatra, M.D.; cardiology; St. Petersburg, Florida.
15. Neal Barnard, M.D.; nutrition, wellness; Washington, D.C.
16. Dean Ornish, M.D.; preventive medicine; Sausalito, California.
17. Mark Houston, M.D.; vascular aging, hypertension; Nashville, Tennessee.
18. Gervasio Lamas, M.D.; cardiology, chelation therapy; Miami Beach, Florida.
19. Joseph E. Pizzorno, N.D.; wellness, natural health; Seattle, Washington.
20. David Riley, M.D.; social and environmental health; Portland, Oregon.
21. William Davis, M.D.; cardiologist; Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
22. Joseph Mercola, DO; osteopathy; Chicago, Illinois.
23. Brian Berman, M.D., family medicine and pain; Baltimore, Maryland.
24. Steven Lamm, M.D.; digestive disorders, New York, New York.
25. Jerry Tennant, M.D.; chronic disease, bio-modular healing; Colleyville, Texas.
26. William S. Maxfield, M.D.; hyperbaric oxygen therapy; Tampa Bay, Florida.
27. Jordan Metzl, M.D.; sports medicine; New York, New York.
28. Randall Paulsen, M.D.; psychiatry, stress reduction; Boston, Massachusetts.
29. Stanislaw Burzynski, M.D.; innovative cancer therapies; Houston, Texas.
30. Simon Yu, M.D.; chronic diseases; St. Louis, Missouri.
31. Sue Decoitiis, M.D.; hormone therapy, weight loss; New York, New York.
32. David Katz, M.D.; weight loss, chronic disease; Derby, Connecticut.
33. Pat Salber, M.D.; internal medicine, weight loss; Larkspur, California.
34. Dietrich Klinghardt, M.D.; chronic pain; Woodinville, Washington.
35. John Zhang, M.D.; fertility; New York, New York.
36. Daniel Friedland, M.D.; stress, optimal performance; San Diego, California.
37. Jacob Teitelbaum, M.D.; disease, chronic fatigue, pain, nutrition; Honolulu, Hawaii
38. Jason Theodosakis, M.D.; arthritis, Tucson, Arizona.
39. Jamie Koufman, M.D.; acid reflux, voice disorders; New York, New York.
40. Fabrizio Mancini, DO; self-healing; Dallas, Texas.
41. Michael Stanclift, ND; preventative medicine, chronic disease; Carlsbad, California.
42. JoAnn Manson, M.D.; women’s preventative health; Boston, Massachusetts.
43. Ray Sahelian, M.D.; herbs, natural health; raysahelian.com.
44. Victor Sierpina, M.D.; mind-body medicine, digestive health; Galveston, Texas.
45. Michael Fenster, M.D.; interventional cardiology; Tampa, Florida.
46. Roy Elam, M.D.; pain; Nashville, Tennessee.
47. Dorothy Merritt, M.D.; holistic medicine, chelation therapy; Texas City, Texas.
48. David Steenblock, DO; stem cell therapy; San Clemente, California.
49. Aaron Tabor, M.D.; nutrition, weight loss; Kernersville, North Carolina.
50. Victoria Maizes, M.D.; integrative health; Tucson, Arizona.
51. Charles Schwengel, DO; chronic pain, cancer; Phoenix, Arizona.
52. Steven Pratt, M.D.; nutrition, lifestyle; La Jolla, California.
53. Anca Sisu, M.D.; acupuncture, mind-body connection; Gardiner, Maine.
54. Joe Colella, M.D.; nutrition, wellness; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
55. James Forsythe, M.D.; cancer; Reno, Nevada.
56. Sandy Newmark, M.D.; pediatrics, autism; San Francisco, California.
57. Delia Chiaramonte, M.D.; hospice and palliative care; Baltimore, Maryland.
58. Richard Shames, M.D.; thyroid health; San Rafael, California.
59. Tony Willcox, DOM; sports medicine, acupuncture; Delray Beach, Florida.
60. Gabe Mirkin, M.D.; sports medicine; cardiology; Orlando, Florida.
61. Elson Haas, M.D.; family practice; San Rafael, California.
62. Susan Beaven, M.D.; cardiology, family medicine; Tarpon Springs, Florida.
63. Michael Rosenbaum, M.D.; allergies; San Rafael, California.
64. Alan Christianson, NMD; endocrinology, diet; Phoenix, Arizona.
65. John McDougall, M.D.; weight loss, wellness; Santa Rosa, California.
66. Kalpana Shere-Wolfe, M.D.; infectious disease; Baltimore, Maryland.
67. John J. Cannell, M.D.; founder of Vitamin D Council; autism; San Luis Obispo, California.
68. John Reed, M.D.; family medicine; Baltimore, Maryland.
69. Christopher Suhar, M.D.; integrative cardiology; La Jolla, California.
70. Karl Robinson, M.D.; homeopathy; Houston, Texas.
71. Richard Ash, M.D.; environmental medicine; New York, New York.
72. Keith Block, M.D.; nutritional therapy; Evanston, Illinois.
73. Gabriel Cousens, M.D.; nutritional therapy, raw vegan diet; Patagonia, Arizona.
74. Kenneth Bock, M.D.; autism, ADHD; Albany, New York.
75. Alejandro Junger, M.D.; detoxification and cleansing; cleanprogram.com.
76. Frank Lipman, M.D.; acupuncture, meditation, herbal medicine; New York, New York.
77. William Rollow, M.D.; family medicine; Baltimore, Maryland.
78. Joel Furhman, M.D.; immunity, nutrition; Flemington, New Jersey.
79. Jeffrey Bland, M.D.; functional medicine, Metagenics; plminstitute.org.
80. David Rosenthal, M.D.; integrative oncology; Boston, Massachusetts.
81. Donald Abrams, M.D.; integrative oncology; San Francisco, California.
82. Amy Myers, M.D.; autoimmune disorders; Austin, Texas.
83. Lauren Ricther, DO; family medicine; Baltimore, Maryland.
84. Michael Galitzer, M.D.; anti-aging, longevity; Los Angeles, California.
85. Julie Taguchi, M.D.; oncology, hormones; Santa Barbara, California.
86. Jonathan V. Wright, M.D.; nutritional medicine; Tukwila, Washington.
87. Craig Title, M.D.; nutrition, weight loss; New York, New York.
88. Deborah F. Harding, M.D.; anti-aging, Orlando, Florida.
89. Dipnarine Maharaj, M.D.; stem cell treatment; Boynton Beach, Florida.
90. Steven B. Harris, M.D.; geriatrics; Rancho Cucamonga, California.
91. Michael Ozner, M.D.; cardiology, Miami, Florida.
92. Mark Starr M.D.; pain and sports medicine; Paradise Valley, Arizona.
93. Karen Brainard, M.D.; regenerative medicine; Bradenton, Florida.
94. Frank Shallenberger M.D.; anti-aging; Carson City, Nevada.
95. Andy Nish, M.D.; allergies; Gainesville, Georgia.
96. Alison Faulkingham, M.D., pediatrics, acupuncture; Rockport, Maine.
97. Dawna Jones, M.D.; bioidentical hormones, herbs; Hanover, Massachusetts.
98. Dennis Courtney, M.D.; chelation therapy, pain management; McMurray, Pennsylvania.
99. Lee Cowden, M.D.; cardiology; Dallas, Texas.
100. Lesley James, M.D.; hormonal balance, IBS; Rochester, N.Y.